This module is designed to form a capstone which facilitates learners in consolidating the strands of the full set of International Business modules in an integrative business project.
On successful completion of this module learners should be able to:
- Work as part of an international team in a foreign business environment.
- Conduct primary and secondary market research, basing managerial decisions on the findings.
- Identify and apply the cross disciplinary relevance of learning achieved in the other International Business modules.
- Generate entrepreneurial ideas and manage their development from inception to pitching for venture capital.
- Research, structure, script and produce a formal business document.
- Prepare and deliver a formal oral business presentation using appropriate visual aids.
Initial Briefing: project framework and parameters; timelines; group formation; work styles; idea generation; business plan report structure
Time and Project Management: idea filtering systems; introduction to sources of secondary research; the cultural filter.
Filter Meeting Guidelines: secondary research; 8-stage market research plan.
Primary Research: questionnaire design; structuring a research plan; external filter meetings.
Business Plan: structure and content of the business plan; formal report writing; academic referencing; sources of enterprise support in Ireland; applying for venture capital and completing funding application forms.
Workshop 1: progress report; finalisation of questionnaire.
Workshop 2: progress report; interim oral presentation; completion of brochure; completion of funding form.
Workshop 3: progress report; document editing.
Workshop 4: progress report; completion of written business plan.
Communication and Presentation Skills Seminar: presentation role play (in preparation for the formal, summatively assessed oral presentation).
Reading Lists and Other Resources
Textbook / Journal based Resources:
Immink, Ron and Brian O Kane. Growing a Business in Ireland – a Workbook. Oak Tree Press, 2004.
Kirby, David A. Entrepreneurship. McGraw-Hill, 2009.
Deakins, David and Mark Freel. Entrepreneurship and The Small Firm. 5th Ed.; McGraw-Hill, 2009.
Timmons, Jeffry A. and Stephen Spinelli . New Venture Creation – Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century. 8th ed. McGraw-Hill, 2009.
Irish Times Business 2000 Series (Woodgrange Press)